Chocolate Surprise Cake Using Maya Oven Toaster Cake Mix (Chocolate Cake)

November 26, 2013
, , , ,

My son and I discovered a cake mix that was easy to prepare. My husband and mom agreed that the finished product was very delicious, moist, chocolatey, and comparable to one of the leading chocolate cake brands here in the Philippines. 

My son named the finished product, "Chocolate Surprise Cake". According to him, the cake looked ordinary but once you tasted it, it was bursting with rich chocolate flavors.

  During special occasions, we have a choice of making our own cake. This could save us a lot of money. It's a nice mother and son bonding too. It's not time-consuming. It takes 30-40 minutes or less and we're done! All we do is follow the cooking instructions of the cake mix and we add a little twist by putting chocolate syrup on top.


This is how we do it! 



Ingredients

Cake Mixture


  •   2 boxes 200g Maya Oven Toaster Cake Mix (Chocolate Cake)
  •  2 eggs (medium)
  • 1 cup water
  • 6 tablespoons oil









Chocolate Syrup
  • 250 ml Alaska Condensed Milk
  • 3 heaping tablespoons of Dutche Cocoa Powder
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of melted butter or margarine 
We prefer this brand because it's not too sweet nor bitter.



Procedure


1. Prepare the steamer before mixing the cake ingredients and chocolate syrup. It saves time waiting for the water to boil.

Why do I prefer steaming instead of baking?
 It makes the cake more moist and soft.

 
2. Brush the bottom of an 8 inch circular pan with cooking oil.


3. Combine eggs, water, and oil in a bowl. Add chocolate cake mix. Mix and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, about 80-90 strokes.




4. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.



 
5. Place in steamer. Put cheese cloth on top before covering to avoid water droplets from dripping into the cake mixture. Steam for 15-20 minutes.




6. Check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick or fork at the center. If it does not come out clean, continue steaming for about 3-5 minutes or until the toothpick/fork inserted at the center comes out clean and dry. Cool in room temperature.




While steaming the cake...

1.  Mix all the ingredients of chocolate syrup in a saucepan until all ingredients are well-blended.




2. Heat in low flame while stirring continuously for about 2-3 minutes until all ingredients are dissolved. Don't overcook. It makes the syrup tough and sticky. Let it cool at room temperature.




After cooling the cake at room temperature...

Transfer the cake on a big plate. Pour the chocolate syrup on top and spread it evenly. Make sure to leave some of it for plating. Chill for 15-30 minutes.
 




 SERVE!


 


The taste of our Chocolate Surprise Cake is comparable to Red Ribbon's chocolate cake! Make one and indulge!

Related Posts

20 comments

  1. Looks so yummy, best part is that I have all the ingredients:)I invite to join the giveaway on my blog, where I am giving away a makeup palette!

    Laila | WIN THE EYESHADOW PALETTE OF YOUR CHOICE!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Laila! Thanks! Try it and you'll surely love it! I'll visit your blog later to see the mechanics! Have a nice day, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..I super love it...I'm a sucker for chocolate cakes plus Maya is so affordable so kering keri..hehe push ko talaga yan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I also love chocolate cakes and yes, Maya is so affordable at kering-keri talaga! Push mo na dali! Hihintayin ko ang feedback mo sis! :)

      Delete
  4. OMG, looks so good! I love Maya products too! I need this now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so rich! I make my own chocolate cake mix and I haven't tried to steam the cake, I always bake it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mommy Gladys! I'll also try your recipes one of these days. I always steam the cake. We only have a small oven and I'm not so confident in baking pa. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow.. I soo love sweets.. and knowing that I can make my own without baking it is really cool.. Thank you. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweets and pastries too, Mommy Jocris! Thanks for the feedback! Steaming the cake makes it easier for us to have a successful output! The cake is fluffier and more moist! Hindi nakatatakot na masusunog ang cake. Hihihi...:)

      Delete
  7. This is pretty helpful for a frustrated baker without an oven. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I so want to try this! I didn't know we can make a cake by steaming. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. where can i buy maya products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I asked Maya about it and this is the response, "Unfortunately, we do not have any distributors in the US... but we were told that there are some customers who export Maya products to Filipino stores in California." Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  10. I tried your cake recipe it so yummy !!! my family love it inspite its the first time I try to make a cake...as well as the icing, but would you give me an advice on how to thicken the choco icing to avoid dripping? thanks :D hope to hear you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! According to MJ Baltazar, one of my recent commenters,using confectioners sugar can make the frosting stiff. Some also use powdered milk instead of condensed milk. I hope this helps. My family prefers not-so-thick icing kasi. Hihi. Thanks for the feedback. I'm so glad your family liked it! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!
I would love to know your feedback!

Blog Archive

Subscribe